~~~~~

~~~~~
Powered by Blogger.

R & R - Recycle & Repurpose


posted by Unknown

2 comments

Hey Everyone
 
Sorry I haven't been posting as much I am busy getting ready for Christmas! Hope your Holidays are going well. 
 
I recently got a few new brushes which I am excited to share with you soon! There was only one problem....
I didn't have any place to put them. I didn't want to just use any old thing (although some nice vintage canisters would be nice but since it was 11:00 at night I didn't think I'd be going out to the Peddlers Mall. And I'm Miss Impatient and I wanted my new brushes nicely displayed on my vanity ASAP! So here is what I did.....I used old candle jars. I sure am glad I saved them!
 
The particular candle jars I used (and are best for this particular craft) are the ones from Bath & Body Works. I just love their candles! The jars are nice and simple and the perfect height for my brushes.
 
 
Before
 
If you don't want to use them for brushes and are going to repurpose them to store things in keep the lids! They are great lids!
 
Why do I love this?

1. Because I am using something I already have
2. Because they are the perfect size
3. Because I don't have throw away the great candle wax (I use that too)
4. They can be used for SO many things!
5. It's super easy!


Here is what you'll need:

Old Candle Jar
Scissors
Baking Soda (optional but well worth it)
Scrubbing pad or brush
Plastic snack bag
 
I don't have any pictures of the actual process because this post was an after thought, I'm sorry! But Ill be descriptive.
 
  1. Have a seat, take a load off! Take your scissors and cut at the wax. Just keep cutting till all the wax is pretty much removed from the jar. I started cutting the wax so it looked like slices of pie and then cut them vertically and horizontally so I got nice little chunks.
  2. The left over wick should pop right out. I just used my scissors to pry them loose.
  3. Once you have most of the wax loose just dump it in a little snack size zip lock bag.
  4.  Remove the candle label from the jar and stick it on the bag so you know what scent it is. (These particular labels were super easy to remove)
  5. Start washing out the wax.
  6. Add some baking soda and start scrubbing the wax residue off the jar. The baking soda helps break down the residue and stickiness. This is also a good time to remove the sticker from the bottom too...it's a little tougher than the outside label.
  7.  Keep scrubbing till you feel like it's clean enough
  8.  Dry with a paper towel
After
(the jar on the left is a candle jar too, it was a Halloween candle
and I liked the orange so I kept it.)
 
I wasn't too worried about them being spotless and shiny because they are going to be around makeup all the time but if you want them shiny and sparkling I would clean with some Windex too!
 

Save the leftover wax in the bags and use them for all sorts of things:
 
  • Poke little holes in the bag and place in closets or drawers
  • Poke little holes and place under the seat of your car (although if it got too hot in the car it might melt?)
  • Or do what I did and place them in a wax burner (mine is from Scentsy and it doesn't require a candle)

 
 
Use the jars for whatever you would like. I think they would be great for:
  • q-tip
  • cotton balls
  • paper clips
  • bobby pins
  • tiny collectibles
  • brushes
  • lipliner/eyeliner

Do you have any other ideas for what they would be great uses for?
 Share it with us!

So that's it. It's that simple!

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you liked it! If so, share it, pin it, like it, but most of all TRY IT!

Check out my other sites too!
 


 &
 


 
Thanks again and have a Beautiful Day!
 
-A
 



 

2 comments

  1. Anonymous

Leave a Reply